davidwatkins visited The Hive on 19/12/2015

Game watched: Barnet 4-2 Crawley Town

Barnet 4                Crawley Town 2

Dembele (45, 52) Hancox (76)

Akinde (83, pen)   Smith (79)

Young (85, og)

Football League Division Two


I met another mate, Adam, at the ground and we had a couple of beers in the excellent bar and cafe that overlooks the pitch. Everything at the Hive is brand new, or at least looks it; Barnet moved in here as recently as 2013, having spent the previous 106 years at their more famous Underhill ground. It is all very neat and tidy but of course, as yet, has no history or character; that will only come with the passing of time and with some heroic moments from the team on the pitch.

Adam and I were sat near the top of the West Stand, the biggest stand on the ground by far, and we were level with the 6 yard line at the south end of the ground. The tube trains rumbled behind us all afternoon. Unusually, the core support of both sides was also in the West stand; the Crawley fans, with an array of red and white banners, were at the opposite end of the west stand to us and the noisiest of the home fans were next to them; there was no sign of any trouble though.

The conditions were not anywhere near ideal with a strong wind blowing from the South and the very low roof over the south end terracing doing little to hold it back. It was really a day for keeping the ball on the deck but it took both these sides a long time to appreciate that fact!

Adam and I were just considering beating the rush for the bar when Barnet opened the scoring after an otherwise uneventful half of football. A left wing corner was floated in on the wind and Bira Dembele rose highest to thump a header into the top corner.

Early in the second half, Dembele was on hand again, this time nodding in a floated free kick at the back post. For twenty minutes, Crawley appeared to have given up the ghost while the home side went through the motions of trying to keep the two goal advantage. Barnet were still not giving the blustery wind enough respect though and it undid them in the 76th minute when Mitch Hancox curled in a cross which the home keeper completely misjudged and the ball struck the inside of the back post and flew in the net.

The boost of getting a goal back really rejuvenated Crawley but no one expected the howitzer of a shot that  Jimmy Smith produced. He volleyed the ball into the net from all of 25 yards out for one of the best shots I've seen this season in any division. 2 - 2 and everything seemingly to play for but within 4 minutes Crawley pressed the self destruct button when Curtis Weston was hauled down in the area. John Akinde slotted the penalty home sending the keeper the wrong way.

With the home fans now finding their voices again having gone very quiet following the shock of seeing their side pegged back, there was a decent noise coming from the home ranks. And they had even more to shout about three minutes later as once again the wind appeared to play a part when a shot from Jose Clarke bobbled into the corner of the net off Lewis Young. 4 - 2 with only five minutes left and that was game set and match.

After a poor first half this game really came to life after the break and with some fine goals, some decidedly dodgy goals, the wind and the penalty we had pretty much everything. So, I'd managed to pick yet another goal fest for my 88th ground and my 77th game of the 2015 calendar year. 

Value for money
Pint rating
Pie rating
Not rated
Added 20/12/2015